The Canon 70D is an amazing DSLR camera that gives you premium images without you having to give up your hard-earned cash. What’s even better is that there are companies that make accessories that help you take your capabilities to the next level without breaking your bank.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re just starting out as a photography beginner or if you’ve been a pro for quite some time, there’s something for you on this list.
Few camera electronics accessories are better than the 70D. It’s the ultimate in no-fuss photography and the most efficient way to get instant high quality images, that’ll last for generations if cared for properly.
If you have a Canon 70D and want to make sure that the camera is being put to the optimum use, make sure you check out the following accessories.
These are simply the best Canon 70D accessories you can get your hands on.
|Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens||Best Overall|
|AmazonBasics UV Protection Camera Lens Filter||Budget Pick|
|Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens||Upgrade Pick|
1. Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
- Wide range of focal lengths
- No vignetting
- Doesn’t require tripod for night photography
- Excellent price
- Small size
- Excellent image quality
- Quiet focusing
- Built-in image stabilization system
- Sharp corners
- Plastic lens mount
- Autofocus can be slow in low light
For those who favor a 24.2-megapixel APS-C format sensor. The lens is an update to the previous 18-135mm IS. As with the previous version, the 10-18 mm lens covers a wide focal range producing great all-around travel photos at an affordable price.
2. Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens
- IS (Image Stabilization)
- f/2.8 Aperture
- Image and flare quality vastly improved
- Tack sharp wide open
- Excellent build quality
- Lightweight and well balanced
- 68mm filter size
- Expensive wide angle
- Still a little soft when used in the corners/perimeters when wide open
- Vignettes very noticeable with full frame bodies
- Distortion can be hard to correct in post production
- Requires a high grade body
Flash diffuser is one of the most effective ways to improve your photography and videography. The diffuser spreads light over a wider area and softens the shadows on the subject. This reduces the contrast, increasing the overall lighting quality in the scene. It minimizes the chances for creating shadows that spoil the picture. It also helps to eliminate the dark spots on the subject.
3. Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT
- 400% brighter flash power than the previous 600EX-RT model
- Larger AF point coverage area, which enables the use of a group mode
- Quick flash mode switch
- AF During Flash exposure is now available
- Calculates range to subject and adjusts output for consistent flash exposures
- Has newly added wireless function by using 600EX-RT Master Unit
- Can be controlled in mirror-up mode
- Compatible with legacy EX series Speedlites.
- Battery Level automatically detected by the flash
- Data can be saved to the Speedlite’s memory and downloaded to EOS cameras
4. Lowepro Pro Runner x450 AW DSLR Backpack
- Holds up to 7 lenses
- Easy to switch lenses
- Plenty of space for other accessories
- Straps are not comfortable
- Limited place to hold accessories
- TOO much space to make use of
The following are must-have accessories for the Canon 70D. The 7 must have accessories include the Sony 32GB XQD G Series Memory Card, Tripod, Sony 32GB XQD G Series Memory Card, Carl Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar T*, Canon 70d, Canon 70d, Canon 70d vs 7D Mark II, Remote Shutter Release, and Canon 70d.
This particular model is a favorite of photographers thanks to its durable and lightweight build that offers decent space for all your gear. It comes with one main compartment – which fits a camera and some lenses – and is outfitted with a few convenient pockets that are perfect for storing memory cards and a few accessories.
This is one of the most affordable backpacks on the market that’s well-suited for the 70D. This pack’s weather-resistant material and 1.5-liter hydration pocket offer great features for portability and protection from elements.
5. Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod
The Vanguard Group has been paying attention to customer needs and expanding their line of professional-grade, high-quality gear for some time now. Most recently, they have started to really focus on the DSLR world and the tech that goes with it. Today, in this review, we look at the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB, a camera tripod that comes with a stainless steel ball head so that you can get the most out of your camera’s field of view.
This camera tripod is one of the best on the market and features the Alta Pro Ball Head. It also comes with a 1/4″-20 threading, which will make it compatible to a wide range of cameras. It also has a maximum load capacity of 26 pounds and a height range of 55-82.5 inches. If you want a tripod that is going to be great for a wide variety of uses, this would be a great choice.
The Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head for Sony, Nikon, Canon DSLR Cameras, Black offers you a wide variety of options. It comes with a carbon fiber material as the base, which means that it will be exceptionally lightweight and also offer you a wide range of movement.
6. Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash
- Built-in radio wireless
- Local control
- Headphone and belt mount included
- Arca compatible
- Supports group control
- Covers a range for up to 64.6 feet
- 1/800s flash sync speed
- High price tag
- Battery is more powerful (higher voltage) than most but is not user replaceable
The Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT flash is a great addition to any DSLR kit. Add high-end wireless features and compatibility with more advanced Canon DSLRs and you have a winning combination.
In addition, the E-TTL II functionality will give you a better chance of achieving balanced exposures in tricky lighting scenarios – not just for flash-focus distance changes, but when taking photos with other exposure variables as well.
While it might not be integrated, the flash is easily controlled via the LCD display on the camera and is fully compatible with the built-in flash on the Canon 70D. Additional features, such as a flash exposure compensation, which is a +/–2 EV adjustment in 1/3 EV steps, will come in handy.
7. Wasabi Power LP-E6
- Made from high-quality authentic batteries
- Comes with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Provides up to 40% longer battery life than the genuine battery
- Fits and work as expected
XC20, XX10, XA15, XA11, and XA12.
Wasabi Power is my top choice for an affordable Canon 70D/R battery.
Wasabi Power batteries offer up to 40% more power than Canon’s own original batteries, making them a must-have choice for your Canon 70D. They also come with a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, so you can rest easy knowing your batteries are protected.
8. Neewer TT560 Speedlite Flash Kit
- A bit pricy but has all the features needed for use in the studio.
- A stand to hold your flash is included.
- Output is adjustable from 1/1 to 1/128.
- A ring light and flash together is a good combination for taking in-home photos of jewelry, figurines, ceramics, and other small home items.
- The ring light keeps your subject evenly lit and the flash offers more sparkle than a regular ring light.
- The plastic LED light filter over the flash protects your subject against correct-color shift according to the color temperature from the flash light.
- The flash works very well indoors and outdoors during the day.
(1)Sync Cord,(2)Glass,(1)pc Anti-Shake Sensor Cap,(4)pc Filter,(1)pc Mount,(1)pc Carrying Case.
9. AmazonBasics UV Protection Camera Lens Filter
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to use
- Provides basic protection
Replacing Canon lens caps can at times be a challenge especially if they are glued to your lenses. But the AmazonBasics UV Protection Camera Lens filter changes all that. Made of high-quality multicoated glass with a 72mm diameter, this filter is designed to fit your Canon 7D, 70D, 60D, and 1300D cameras. Also it is simple to install with an adapter ring and works with most other lenses with a filter thread of 72mm.
This camera lens filter is constructed to provide basic protection to your camera lens as well as a UV filter protector for your camera sensor. The UV filter is etched with a low-profile frame that enables light to flow through the filter and reach the lens without distortion or blurring. It provides 99 percent UV protection which will protect your image from haze which is very common over a wide range of shooting conditions, especially at high altitudes and in dry climates.
10. Tiffen 58UVP 58mm UV Protection Filter
- Provides the maximum protection for your camera lens while shooting outside
- Adapters for different makes and models of cameras
- Makes your image clear and protects your lens from dust and scratches
(If you’re a Canon user, I recommend the Tiffen 58UVP 58mm UV Protection Filter. It’s the best you can get for Canon owners.)
For Canon users, this is an absolute must. Outside photography 7hrs per day gives your lens a lot of exposure to the elements. This means that you’re really protecting your investment by keeping it covered up.
11. Rode VideoMicPro Compact Directional On-Camera Microphone
- Easy to use
- Comes with a wireless receiver for camera and an external mic jack
- Perfect for all types of vocals
This condenser microphone measures at 3 inches and weighs just 0.26 ounces, making it one of the most portable on our list. It fits snugly on the side of the Canon 70D, making it great for close-up video, but not ideal for long-range recordings. Its wind shield helps to remove vibrations from background noises and makes sure your original sounds project clearly. This is a great microphone for capturing cinematic sound.
This microphone is the choice for people who need to capture sound on the run, or in a hurry. It plugs directly into your camera, making it easy to set up without any extra equipment. Just plug it in to your camera via the mini jack and start recording. It also comes with a wireless receiver, which is used for professional setups, and a length of cable to connect the receiver to the microphone.
12. VANGUARD THE HERALDER 33 Messenger Bag
- Holds all the must-have accessories
- Can be worn as backpack
- Plenty of storage space in the main compartments
- Great Looking Design
- Comes with rain cover for wet weather protection
- Sturdy and durable design
- Padded on the front and back to give your camera support
I’ve tried a lot of camera bags to fit the needs of my photography business. Naturally, I have a lot of expensive camera equipment and I won’t waste my time with anything that looks cheap or doesn’t work well. This product is good for both professionals and consumers – it’s perfect for traveling and anyone else who has a lot of camera equipment. It’s especially ideal for photographers looking for a professional look to their equipment.
This is a solid bag that includes plenty of additional accessories like a rain cover to keep everything dry, lots of room for your camera equipment, lenses, flashes, laptop, and a tablet. The soft pockets on the front are an added bonus if you prefer to have easy access to your lens and camera. The back padding is really nice to keep your camera from getting dented or damaged. The zipper actually covers more of the bag to keep water out.
13. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Telephoto Zoom Lens International Version
- Wide range of focal length
- Well-built and light weight
This lens has a wide range of focal length – 55-250mm, giving you both wide-angle and telephoto options. Plus, the lens has the Canon STM technology, which can help produce smoother and quieter AF. When it comes to image quality, the lens produces sharp images that will last through a photo printing machine. As a bonus, it’s really light weight. There are a few shortcomings to this lens, like the fact that it produces artifacts, while colors are somewhat muted when compared with Canon L lenses.
The main reasons to buy this lens are its wide range of focal length with the option to shoot close-up portraits.
It also packs an impressive image quality considering it comes at a relatively low price tag. Indeed, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Telephoto Zoom Lens is a good value for folks on a budget.
14. SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Card
- Ultra High Speed
- Long lasting
- High capacity
After years of using SanDisk, I have never been unhappy with their products or customer service. While this 32GB card only has a few reviews online, it is the cheapest way to store lots of photos on the 70D. It's worth buying the premium SANDISK version as it lasts longer and gets higher read/write speeds. For the price you can't go wrong.
15. SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card
- The price is super reasonable for its class
- There is a durable storage case that also acts as a USB Card Reader
- The flash drive is very small and offers fast speeds
- The packaging is really nice — it comes with a Card Reader with 10 free downloadable popular games
This card is a must have for any photographer or videographer. It’s your insurance in case your main card unexpectedly fails.
SanDisk is a name that has been around for a long time, and it’s a name that I’m sure you’re very familiar with. This brand never disappoints, and the Extreme-series cards are no different.
If you’re a Canon shooter, you’ll be happy to know that this card is UHS-I compliant, so it’s fast enough to handle burst mode, continuous stills, and full HD video.
16. BONFOTO 55 Inch B671A Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Camera Travel Tripod and Monopod
- Stable and durable with a load capacity of 9.9lbs
- Efficient monopod
- 360-degree Ball Head permitting for infinite panning and maneuverability
- 2 quick release plates, one for Canon and one for Nikon
- Carry bag for safe storage and retail packaging for easy gifting
- Most complaints about the the ball head having issues with the weight of the camera
- Doesn’t work well with heavy cameras
- The cable can easily get trapped in the ball head
This product is sold as a set, including: two discount coupons for other products, one free protective lens bag, and an all-inclusive carry case for storage and gift-giving.
17. Neewer IR Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control
- Very nice price for this quality
- Easy to use with great feel to it
If you have a Canon 7D Mark II this IS the remote to get for it. The cheaper versions may claim to do the same thing but they don’t have the correct interfacing to do it right.
Tons of buttons and features make this remote perfect for long time exposure work. One thing we like is the inclusion of buttons that can be programmed with just about any one touch function.
In addition, you get 9 different modes of operation, from general use to long time exposure to slow shutter. The only real issue that we could find was with the case that comes with the unit. It doesn’t always seem to slide on and off smoothly but it’s not a real deal breaker.
18. Vanguard CK6N1 6-In-1 Cleaning Kit
- Essential cleaning accessories
- Comes with a carrying case
- Affordable and budget friendly
- Non-removable cleaning cloths
- Is not appropriate for other camera models
The Vanguard CK6N1 6-in-1 cleaning kit for DSLR cameras is one of the most appreciated cleaning kits you can find for your Canon 70D. It comes with a cleaning cloth, lens pen, air blaster, blower brush, liquid cleaning solution, and even a dust cover bag. Since it doesn’t have any non-removable cleaning cloths you can also use it with other camera models. The kit is not waterproof but has two small holes so the liquid cleaning solution can drain. This allows the cloth to dry itself out. The VIPAK also has a detachable cap to protect the solution while it’s inside the kit. One of the other things to point out about this cleaning kit is that once you’re done cleaning the cloth dries itself out.
This is the most recommended cleaning kit for your DSLR thanks to all the useful tools you get. It’s affordable and fits into the palm of your hand since it’s so compact. If you’re looking for a cleaning kit for your DSLR camera, consider this one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What DSLR accessories do I need?
In addition to buying the camera itself, you will also need to invest in some accessories. You might not need all of these things all of the time, but here is a list of accessories that you will likely find useful:
A Tripod: A tripod is an incredibly useful accessory for anyone who is into photography. It can help with both portrait photography and landscape photography.
There are a huge variety of tripods available. The two most popular types are the lightweight tripod and the video tripod. We recommend one of each for most people.
A Speedy SD Card: You’ll need some kind of SD card in order to take pictures with the DSLR. While some cameras come with a small card or WiFi connection abilities, it’s a good idea to get an SD card just in case.
Is the Canon 70d still a good camera?
The Canon 70D is still a really great camera well worth a place in your kit. It was released in 2013 and is a semi-pro/pro entry level DSLR that offers a lot of bang for the buck. It takes really great videos and fully taps in to the DSLR craze that Canon, Nikon, and Sony LUMIX cameras started in 2006. There are a lot of Canon 70D accessories out there designed by Canon and third party manufacturers alike.
We’ll keep this post updated with the latest 70d accessories and other awesome accessories for any DSLR camera past, present, or future.
What are the most important camera accessories?
As a photographer, I sometimes feel intimidated by the number of accessories and gadgets I can buy. I'm not sure if I really need these things to capture a good shot, or if they are a way to justify my initial investment and help me feel more comfortable taking an active role in taking my photography to the next level.
Over the years, I've learned that the most useful camera accessories are those that help me do something I couldn't do before.
Here are 7 essential camera accessories that I use almost every day.
Why was the Canon 70d discontinued?
What are the alternatives?
When the Canon 70D was first released in 2013, it was a revolutionary DSLR that helped bridge the gap between entry-level and professional level DSLR cameras. It’s replaced by the Canon 77D which is the newer, updated model of the 70D. The 70D is still widely available, and it can be found for a decent price if you shop around.
For those who are looking to purchase this camera, the downside is that you might not be able get it serviced if it ever breaks down. Canon has already discontinued this model and stopped servicing it. If this happens, you’ll be stuck with a good-looking paperweight and no one to fix it.
Instead, we’d recommend that you spend a few dollars for a new battery charger and keep it charged up.
The Canon 70D is one of the most popular mid-range DSLR cameras available on the market today. I personally own it, and use it to shoot all the images you see on this blog. Now, I’m not alone. Millions of people around the world are using this camera. This is for many reasons:
It offers amazing value: Many mid-range cameras are quite expensive. However, the Canon 70D comes in at a relatively affordable price, offering quality that rivals that of more expensive cameras.
|Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens||Best Overall|
|AmazonBasics UV Protection Camera Lens Filter||Budget Pick|
|Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens||Upgrade Pick|